On 10.01.2023 a security relevant correction has been released by SAP SE. The manufacturer resolves an issue within Java.
SAP Note 3268093 addresses "[CVE-2023-0017] Improper access control in SAP NetWeaver AS for Java" to prevent missing authentication check with a hot news risk for exploitation.
A workaround does not exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance, the team suggests.
Risk specificationAn unauthenticated attacker can attach to an open interface and use an open naming and directory API to access services that can perform unauthorized operations affecting users and data on the current system. This could allow the attacker to have full read access to user data, modify user data and make particular services within the system unavailable.
Instead of relying on generic authorization checks, new service actions have been introduced for the JCo RFC Provider.
SAP Netweaver Application Server Java is part of the SAP NetWeaver Application Platform. It provides the complete infrastructure for deploying and running Java applications.
- The AS Java Home: SAP Netweaver Application Server Java wiki
- A dedicated SAP NetWeaver 7.40 Application Server for Java Security Guide exists.
The advisory is valid for
- 10.0 [CVE-2020-26829] Missing Authentication Check in SAP NetWeaver AS JAVA (P2P Cluster Communication)
- 10.0 [CVE-2020-6207] Missing Authentication Check in SAP Solution Manager (User-Experience Monitoring)
- 9.8 [CVE-2020-6198] Missing Authentication check in SAP Solution Manager (Diagnostics Agent)
- 9.0 [CVE-2021-27610] Improper Authentication in SAP NetWeaver ABAP Server and ABAP Platform
- 8.6 [CVE-2020-6235] Missing authentication check in SAP Solution Manager (Diagnostics Agent )