SAP takes the security of its vast product portfolio very seriously and thus releases security fixes for
vulnerabilities reported by external researchers and their customers every second Tuesday of the month.
SAP Note 3252433
was released on
14.03.2023 and deals with
"[CVE-2023-23857] Improper Access Control in SAP NetWeaver AS for Java" within Java.
We advice you to follow the instructions, to resolve
missing authentication check
hot news potential for exploitation
in component BC-CST-EQ.
According to SAP Security Advisory team a workaround does not exist. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance.
Risk specificationDue to a missing authentication check, SAP NetWeaver Application Server for Java allows an unauthenticated attacker to attach to an open interface and make use of an open naming and directory API affecting users and services across systems.
This correction discontinues public access to the LockingService by introducing the required authentication and authorization protection.
SAP Netweaver Application Server Java is part of the SAP NetWeaver Application Platform. It provides the complete infrastructure for deploying and running Java applications.
- The AS Java Home: SAP Netweaver Application Server Java wiki
- A dedicated SAP NetWeaver 7.40 Application Server for Java Security Guide exists.
The advisory is valid for
- 10.0 [CVE-2020-26829] Missing Authentication Check in SAP NetWeaver AS JAVA (P2P Cluster Communication)
- 10.0 [CVE-2020-6207] Missing Authentication Check in SAP Solution Manager (User-Experience Monitoring)
- 9.8 [CVE-2020-6198] Missing Authentication check in SAP Solution Manager (Diagnostics Agent)
- 9.4 [CVE-2023-0017] Improper access control in SAP NetWeaver AS for Java
- 9.0 [CVE-2021-27610] Improper Authentication in SAP NetWeaver ABAP Server and ABAP Platform