On 08.02.2022 a security relevant correction has been released by SAP SE. The manufacturer resolves an issue within Java.
SAP Note 3140940 addresses "[CVE-2022-22544] Missing segregation of duties in SAP Solution Manager Diagnostics Root Cause Analysis Tools" to prevent missing authorization check with a hot news risk for exploitation.
A workaround does exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as monthly patch process, the team suggests.
Missing authority checks are still the most common security defect related to authorizations in custom code. Since SAP uses an explicit authorization model, an authority checks must be coded in order to be executed. If an explicit check is not coded, all users have access. This type of vulnerability not only exists in SAP standard it also exists in customer coding. Check your custom developments for vulnerabilities that pose a risk to your systems. SecurityBridge helps detect code vulnerabilities before they are implemented in production.
Risk specificationDue to missing segregation of duty, SAP Solution Manager allows an attacker with admin privileges to browse files and execute code that can be executed on all connected Diagnostics Agents over the network.
The vulnerable "Root Cause Analysis" tools have been removed. Circumstances exist that prevent the timely installation of a patch provided by the manufacturer. In such cases, you may consider applying the suggested workaround as a temporary or compensating mitigation: "Alternatively the applications tc~webadministrator~fsbrowser tc~webadministrator~oscommand tc~webadministrator~tda tc~webadministrator~standlogviewer can be undeployed to remove the vulnerability.".
SAP Netweaver Application Server Java is part of the SAP NetWeaver Application Platform. It provides the complete infrastructure for deploying and running Java applications.
- The AS Java Home: SAP Netweaver Application Server Java wiki
- A dedicated SAP NetWeaver 7.40 Application Server for Java Security Guide exists.
The advisory is valid for
- 10.0 [Multiple CVE IDs] Missing Authentication Check in SAP Solution Manager (JAVA stack)
- 10.0 [CVE-2021-37535] Missing Authorization check in SAP NetWeaver Application Server for Java (JMS Connector Service)
- 9.6 [CVE-2021-21481] Missing Authorization Check in SAP NetWeaver AS JAVA (MigrationService)
- 9.6 [CVE-2020-6320] Improper Access Control in SAP Marketing (Mobile Channel Servlet)
- 9.6 [CVE-2021-40501] Missing Authorization check in ABAP Platform Kernel