On 09.03.2021 a security relevant correction has been released by SAP SE. The manufacturer resolves an issue within Java.
SAP Note 3022422 addresses "[CVE-2021-21481] Missing Authorization Check in SAP NetWeaver AS JAVA (MigrationService)" to prevent missing authorization check with a hot news risk for exploitation.
A workaround does exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance, the team suggests.
Missing authority checks are still the most common security defect related to authorizations in custom code. Since SAP uses an explicit authorization model, an authority checks must be coded in order to be executed. If an explicit check is not coded, all users have access. This type of vulnerability not only exists in SAP standard it also exists in customer coding. Check your custom developments for vulnerabilities that pose a risk to your systems. SecurityBridge helps detect code vulnerabilities before they are implemented in production.
Risk specificationThis note has been re-released with updated link to the FAQ document. - The MigrationService, which is part of SAP NetWeaver, does not perform an authorization check allowing an unauthorized attacker to access configuration objects, including such that grant administrative privileges.
The MigrationService has been extended to properly check access restrictions. Circumstances exist that prevent the timely installation of a patch provided by the manufacturer. In such cases, you may consider applying the suggested workaround as a temporary or compensating mitigation: "SAP provides also a temporary workaround, described in SAP Note 3030298. The workaround avoids the immediate system restart as it is an online deployment.".
SAP Netweaver Application Server Java is part of the SAP NetWeaver Application Platform. It provides the complete infrastructure for deploying and running Java applications.
- The AS Java Home: SAP Netweaver Application Server Java wiki
- A dedicated SAP NetWeaver 7.40 Application Server for Java Security Guide exists.
The advisory is valid for
- J2EE-APPS 7.10-7.11 2
- J2EE-APPS 7.20 2
- J2EE-APPS 7.30 2
- J2EE-APPS 7.31 2
- J2EE-APPS 7.40 2
- J2EE-APPS 7.50 3
- 10.0 [Multiple CVE IDs] Missing Authentication Check in SAP Solution Manager (JAVA stack)
- 10.0 [CVE-2021-37535] Missing Authorization check in SAP NetWeaver Application Server for Java (JMS Connector Service)
- 9.6 [CVE-2021-40501] Missing Authorization check in ABAP Platform Kernel
- 9.6 [CVE-2020-6320] Improper Access Control in SAP Marketing (Mobile Channel Servlet)
- 9.1 [CVE-2022-22544] Missing segregation of duties in SAP Solution Manager Diagnostics Root Cause Analysis Tools