On 09.03.2021 a security relevant correction has been released by SAP SE. The manufacturer resolves an issue within Java.
SAP Note 3022422 addresses "[CVE-2021-21481] Missing Authorization Check in SAP NetWeaver AS JAVA (MigrationService)" to prevent missing authorization check with a hot news risk for exploitation.
A workaround does exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance, the team suggests.
Missing authority checks are still the most common security defect related to authorizations in custom code. Since SAP uses an explicit authorization model, an authority checks must be coded in order to be executed. If an explicit check is not coded, all users have access. This type of vulnerability not only exists in SAP standard it also exists in customer coding. Check your custom developments for vulnerabilities that pose a risk to your systems. SecurityBridge helps detect code vulnerabilities before they are implemented in production.
Risk specificationThe MigrationService, which is part of SAP NetWeaver, does not perform an authorization check allowing an unauthorized attacker to access configuration objects, including such that grant administrative privileges.
The MigrationService in SAP NetWeaver AS JAVA has been extended to properly check access restrictions. Circumstances exist that prevent the timely installation of a patch provided by the manufacturer. In such cases, you may consider applying the suggested workaround as a temporary or compensating mitigation: "SAP provides also a temporary workaround, described in SAP Note 3030298. The workaround avoids the immediate system restart as it is an online deployment.".
SAP Netweaver Application Server Java is part of the SAP NetWeaver Application Platform. It provides the complete infrastructure for deploying and running Java applications.
- The AS Java Home: SAP Netweaver Application Server Java wiki
- A dedicated SAP NetWeaver 7.40 Application Server for Java Security Guide exists.
The advisory is valid for
- J2EE-APPS 7.10-7.11 2
- J2EE-APPS 7.20 2
- J2EE-APPS 7.30 2
- J2EE-APPS 7.31 2
- J2EE-APPS 7.40 2
- J2EE-APPS 7.50 2
- 10.0 [Multiple CVE IDs] Missing Authentication Check in SAP Solution Manager (JAVA stack)
- 9.6 [CVE-2020-6320] Improper Access Control in SAP Marketing (Mobile Channel Servlet)
- 8.5 [CVE-2020-26837] Multiple Vulnerabilities in SAP Solution Manager 7.2 (User Experience Monitoring)
- 8.1 [CVE-2020-6279] Missing Authorization Check in SAP SuccessFactors Recruiting
- 7.6 [CVE-2020-26832] Missing Authorization check in SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP and SAP S4 HANA (SAP Landscape Transformation)