SAP takes the security of its vast product portfolio very seriously and thus releases security fixes for
vulnerabilities reported by external researchers and their customers every second Tuesday of the month.
SAP Note 3320702
was released on
11.07.2023 and deals with
"[CVE-2023-36917] Password Change rate limit bypass in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform" within BI/BO platform.
We advice you to follow the instructions, to resolve
medium potential for exploitation
in component BI-BIP-SRV.
According to SAP Security Advisory team a workaround does not exist. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance.
Information disclosure is when an application fails to properly protect sensitive and confidential information from
parties that are not supposed to have access to the subject matter in normal circumstances.
Carefully review every information disclosure vulnerablity in regards to disclosure obligations post-GDPR for ‘Personal data’ under the Data Protection Act 2018.
Risk specificationSAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform allows an unauthorized attacker who had hijacked a user session to bypass the victim’s old password via brute force due to the unrestricted rate limit for password change functionality.
Rate limitation has been applied to the change password request in the SAP BO/BI platform.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence suite is an analytics platform allowing SAP customers to make better decisions based on their business data. SAP BI is a module meant for producing business insights and expands its power in combination with HANA DB and also exists as BW/4 HANA. Due to processing sensitive business data, the Data security is of utmost importance.
The advisory is valid for
- 9.9 [CVE-2023-40622] Information Disclosure vulnerability in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (Promotion Management)
- 9.8 [CVE-2023-28765] Information Disclosure vulnerability in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (Promotion Management )
- 9.1 [CVE-2023-28762] Information Disclosure in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (Central Management Console)
- 9.0 [CVE-2020-6252] Information Disclosure in SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise (Cockpit)
- 8.9 Information Disclosure in Central Order