SAP takes the security of its vast product portfolio very seriously and thus releases security fixes for
vulnerabilities reported by external researchers and their customers every second Tuesday of the month.
SAP Note 3311624
was released on
11.04.2023 and deals with
"[CVE-2023-29187] DLL Hijacking vulnerability in SapSetup (Software Installation Program)" within SAP GUI / Frontend.
We advice you to follow the instructions, to resolve
os command injection
medium potential for exploitation
in component BC-FES-INS.
According to SAP Security Advisory team a workaround does not exist. It is advisable to implement the correction as monthly patch process.
Risk specificationAn attacker with Windows user authorization can exploit a DLL hijacking attack in SapSetup, resulting in a privilege escalation, running code as an administrator on the same machine.
SapSetup now loads the DLL from a directory, where only the administrative Windows user has write access.
The advisory is valid for
- 9.9 [CVE-2021-37531] Code Injection vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Knowledge Management (XMLForms)
- 9.1 Update 2 to Security Note 2808158: [CVE-2019-0330] OS Command Injection vulnerability in SAP Diagnostics Agent
- 9.1 [CVE-2020-26820] Privilege escalation in SAP NetWeaver Application Server for Java (UDDI Server)
- 9.0 [CVE-2023-25617] OS Command Execution vulnerability in SAP Business Objects Business Intelligence Platform (Adaptive Job Server)
- 8.8 [CVE-2023-24523] Privilege Escalation vulnerability in SAP Host Agent (Start Service)