A note with CVSS 9.9 for component BC-ESI-WS-JAV-RT was released by SAP on 14.09.2021. The correction/advisory 3081888 was described with "[CVE-2021-37531] Code Injection vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Knowledge Management (XMLForms)" and affects the system type Java.
A workaround does not exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as monthly patch process.
The vulnerability addressed is os command injection within Java.
Risk specificationThe SAP NetWeaver Portal allows an authenticated attacker to exploit an XSLT vulnerability allowing the attacker to deploy XSL stylesheet files containing OS commands which will ultimately be accessed by the system. This can result in a compromise of confidentiality, integrity, and system availability.
The vulnerability is fixed with modifications to the XMLToolkit parser.
SAP Netweaver Application Server Java is part of the SAP NetWeaver Application Platform. It provides the complete infrastructure for deploying and running Java applications.
- The AS Java Home: SAP Netweaver Application Server Java wiki
- A dedicated SAP NetWeaver 7.40 Application Server for Java Security Guide exists.
The advisory is valid for
- 9.1 Update 2 to Security Note 2808158: [CVE-2019-0330] OS Command Injection vulnerability in SAP Diagnostics Agent
- 9.1 [CVE-2020-26820] Privilege escalation in SAP NetWeaver Application Server for Java (UDDI Server)
- 8.4 [CVE-2021-44235] Code Injection vulnerability in utility class for SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP