SAP takes the security of its vast product portfolio very seriously and thus releases security fixes for
vulnerabilities reported by external researchers and their customers every second Tuesday of the month.
SAP Note 3284550
was released on
14.03.2023 and deals with
"[CVE-2023-26461] XML External Entity (XXE) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver (SAP Enterprise Portal)" within Java.
We advice you to follow the instructions, to resolve
external entity tunneling (xxe)
medium potential for exploitation
in component EP-PIN-PSL.
According to SAP Security Advisory team a workaround does not exist. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance.
Risk specificationSAP Netweaver (SAP Enterprise Portal) allows an authenticated attacker to submit crafted XML files to the enterprise portal, causing it to reveal sensitive data.
The XML parser is now configured securely so that it does not allow external entities as part of an incoming XML document.
SAP Netweaver Application Server Java is part of the SAP NetWeaver Application Platform. It provides the complete infrastructure for deploying and running Java applications.
- The AS Java Home: SAP Netweaver Application Server Java wiki
- A dedicated SAP NetWeaver 7.40 Application Server for Java Security Guide exists.
The advisory is valid for
- 9.8 Potential XML External Entity Injection Vulnerability in SAP Environmental Compliance
- 9.6 [CVE-2020-26831] Missing XML Validation in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (Crystal Report)
- 9.3 [CVE-2020-6238] Missing XML Validation vulnerability in SAP Commerce
- 8.7 [CVE-2021-27635] Missing XML Validation in SAP NetWeaver AS for JAVA
- 7.7 [CVE-2020-6285] Information Disclosure in SAP NetWeaver (XMLToolkit for Java)