SAP takes the security of its vast product portfolio very seriously and thus releases security fixes for
vulnerabilities reported by external researchers and their customers every second Tuesday of the month.
SAP Note 2989075
was released on
08.12.2020 and deals with
"[CVE-2020-26831] Missing XML Validation in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (Crystal Report)" within BI/BO platform.
We advice you to follow the instructions, to resolve
external entity tunneling (xxe)
hot news potential for exploitation
in component BI-RA-CR-VW.
According to SAP Security Advisory team a workaround does not exist. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance.
Risk specificationCrystal Report does not sufficiently validate uploaded XML entities allowing an authenticated user with basic privileges to inject some arbitrary XML entities leading to internal file disclosure, internal directories disclosure, Server Side Request Forgery (SSRF), and also denial-of-service (DoS)
Arbitrary values provided within input parameters are now ignored.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence suite is an analytics platform allowing SAP customers to make better decisions based on their business data. SAP BI is a module meant for producing business insights and expands its power in combination with HANA DB and also exists as BW/4 HANA. Due to processing sensitive business data, the Data security is of utmost importance.
The advisory is valid for
- 9.3 [CVE-2020-6238] Missing XML Validation vulnerability in SAP Commerce
- 7.7 [CVE-2020-6285] Information Disclosure in SAP NetWeaver (XMLToolkit for Java)
- 7.6 [CVE-2020-6366] Missing XML Validation in SAP NetWeaver (Compare Systems)
- 7.1 [CVE-2019-0396] Missing XML Validation vulnerability in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (Web Intelligence HTML interface)
- 6.5 [CVE-2019-0271] Denial of Service via XML External Entity (XXE) vulnerability in ABAP Server