On 14.03.2023 a security relevant correction has been released by SAP SE. The manufacturer resolves an issue within ABAP.
SAP Note 3274920 addresses "[CVE-2023-0021] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver" to prevent cross-site scripting (xss) with a medium risk for exploitation.
A workaround does exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as monthly patch process, the team suggests.
Missing authority checks are still the most common security defect related to authorizations in custom code. Since SAP uses an explicit authorization model, an authority checks must be coded in order to be executed. If an explicit check is not coded, all users have access. This type of vulnerability not only exists in SAP standard it also exists in customer coding. Check your custom developments for vulnerabilities that pose a risk to your systems. SecurityBridge helps detect code vulnerabilities before they are implemented in production.
Risk specificationSAP NetWeaver allows an unauthenticated attacker to inject code that may expose sensitive data due to insufficient encoding of user data.
The URL parameters are now properly encoded to prevent a successful XSS attack. Circumstances exist that prevent the timely installation of a patch provided by the manufacturer. In such cases, you may consider applying the suggested workaround as a temporary or compensating mitigation: "Cross-site scripting/request forgery filter engine on IDS/IPS/firewall systems. ".
The advisory 3274920 describes a problem within an ABAP based systems of a specific version. Affected versions are described below. ABAP software is deployed in various software components and is widely used within the SAP product portfolio.
SAP NetWeaver Application Server (formally known as SAP Web Application Server) is a building block of SAP NetWeaver. It is the foundation for most software products developed by SAP SE. SAP NetWeaver systems exist with Java and/or ABAP stacks. The advisory could be relevant for single and dual-stack ABAP installations.
The advisory is valid for
- 8.3 [CVE-2022-27656] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in administration UI of SAP Webdispatcher and SAP Netweaver AS for ABAP and Java (ICM)
- 6.1 [CVE-2022-29618] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Development Infrastructure (Design Time Repository)
- 6.1 [CVE-2023-26457] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP Content Server
- 5.4 [CVE-2022-29610] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Application Server ABAP
- 4.7 [CVE-2022-22534] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver