A note with CVSS 6.1 for component BC-SRV-KPR-CS was released by SAP on 14.03.2023. The correction/advisory 3281484 was described with "[CVE-2023-26457] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP Content Server" and affects the system type ABAP.
A workaround exists, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance.
The vulnerability addressed is cross-site scripting (xss) within ABAP.
Missing authority checks are still the most common security defect related to authorizations in custom code. Since SAP uses an explicit authorization model, an authority checks must be coded in order to be executed. If an explicit check is not coded, all users have access. This type of vulnerability not only exists in SAP standard it also exists in customer coding. Check your custom developments for vulnerabilities that pose a risk to your systems. SecurityBridge helps detect code vulnerabilities before they are implemented in production.
Risk specificationSAP Content Server does not sufficiently encode user-controlled inputs resulting in a Cross-Site Scripting attack.
The URL parameters are now properly encoded to prevent a successful XSS attack. Although an alternative solution exists, it is advisable to apply the correction! This is the workaround, which was suggested by the SAP security experts: "Cross-site scripting/request forgery filter engine on IDS/IPS/firewall systems. ".
The advisory 3281484 describes a problem within an ABAP based systems of a specific version. Affected versions are described below. ABAP software is deployed in various software components and is widely used within the SAP product portfolio.
SAP NetWeaver Application Server (formally known as SAP Web Application Server) is a building block of SAP NetWeaver. It is the foundation for most software products developed by SAP SE. SAP NetWeaver systems exist with Java and/or ABAP stacks. The advisory could be relevant for single and dual-stack ABAP installations.
The advisory is valid for
- 8.3 [CVE-2022-27656] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in administration UI of SAP Webdispatcher and SAP Netweaver AS for ABAP and Java (ICM)
- 6.1 [CVE-2022-29618] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Development Infrastructure (Design Time Repository)
- 6.1 [CVE-2023-0021] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver
- 5.4 [CVE-2022-29610] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Application Server ABAP
- 4.7 [CVE-2022-22534] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver