SAP takes the security of its vast product portfolio very seriously and thus releases security fixes for
vulnerabilities reported by external researchers and their customers every second Tuesday of the month.
SAP Note 3167430
was released on
12.07.2022 and deals with
"[CVE-2022-31591] Privilege Escalation vulnerability in SAP BusinessObjects (BW Publisher Service)" within BI/BO platform.
We advice you to follow the instructions, to resolve
os command injection
medium potential for exploitation
in component BI-BIP-IK-PAR-SAP.
According to SAP Security Advisory team a workaround does not exist. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance.
Risk specificationBW Publisher Service allows an authenticated attacker to insert an executable file due to an unquoted element in the service path resulting in an escalation of privileges.
BW Publisher Service is now configured securely.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence suite is an analytics platform allowing SAP customers to make better decisions based on their business data. SAP BI is a module meant for producing business insights and expands its power in combination with HANA DB and also exists as BW/4 HANA. Due to processing sensitive business data, the Data security is of utmost importance.
The advisory is valid for
- 9.9 [CVE-2021-37531] Code Injection vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Knowledge Management (XMLForms)
- 9.1 Update 2 to Security Note 2808158: [CVE-2019-0330] OS Command Injection vulnerability in SAP Diagnostics Agent
- 9.1 [CVE-2020-26820] Privilege escalation in SAP NetWeaver Application Server for Java (UDDI Server)
- 8.4 [CVE-2021-44235] Code Injection vulnerability in utility class for SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP
- 4.9 [CVE-2022-29614] Privilege Escalation in SAP startservice of SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP, AS Java, ABAP Platform and HANA Database