SAP takes the security of its vast product portfolio very seriously and thus releases security fixes for
vulnerabilities reported by external researchers and their customers every second Tuesday of the month.
SAP Note 3103677
was released on
14.12.2021 and deals with
"[CVE-2021-42061] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence platform (Web Intelligence)" within BI/BO platform.
We advice you to follow the instructions, to resolve
Cross-Site Scripting (XSS)
medium potential for exploitation
in component BI-RA-WBI-FE-HTM.
According to SAP Security Advisory team a workaround does not exist. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance.
Cross-site scripting (XSS) is the name of a class of security vulnerabilities that can occur in web-based
applications. XSS combines
affected web application.
Risk specificationSAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform does not sufficiently encode user-controlled inputs, resulting in Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability. This enables an authenticated attacker with basic privileges to retrieve data from the victim but not to modify the document and publish modifications to the server.
User inputs are now encoded for the affected workflows.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence suite is an analytics platform allowing SAP customers to make better decisions based on their business data. SAP BI is a module meant for producing business insights and expands its power in combination with HANA DB and also exists as BW/4 HANA. Due to processing sensitive business data, the Data security is of utmost importance.
The advisory is valid for
- 9.0 [CVE-2020-6284] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) in SAP NetWeaver (Knowledge Management)
- 8.8 [CVE-2021-42063] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP Knowledge Warehouse
- 8.2 [CVE-2020-6367] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Composite Application Framework
- 6.5 [CVE-2019-0385] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP Enable Now
- 6.3 Cross-Site Request Forgery vulnerability in Enterprise Services Repository of SAP Process Integration