On 09.11.2021 a security relevant correction has been released by SAP SE. The manufacturer resolves an issue within Kernel.
SAP Note 3099776 addresses "[CVE-2021-40501] Missing Authorization check in ABAP Platform Kernel" to prevent missing authorization check with a hot news risk for exploitation.
A workaround does not exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance, the team suggests.
Missing authority checks are still the most common security defect related to authorizations in custom code. Since SAP uses an explicit authorization model, an authority checks must be coded in order to be executed. If an explicit check is not coded, all users have access. This type of vulnerability not only exists in SAP standard it also exists in customer coding. Check your custom developments for vulnerabilities that pose a risk to your systems. SecurityBridge helps detect code vulnerabilities before they are implemented in production.
Risk specificationThe ABAP Platform Kernel as of release 7.77 allows authenticated users to read or modify data beyond the vulnerable system resulting in escalation of privileges.
The ABAP Platform Kernel has been corrected to perform a full authorization check for incoming Trusted-RFC connections for authorization object S_RFCACL including authorization field RFC_TCODE if this field is activated in the settings of the trust relationship.
- 10.0 [CVE-2021-37535] Missing Authorization check in SAP NetWeaver Application Server for Java (JMS Connector Service)
- 10.0 [Multiple CVE IDs] Missing Authentication Check in SAP Solution Manager (JAVA stack)
- 9.6 [CVE-2020-6320] Improper Access Control in SAP Marketing (Mobile Channel Servlet)
- 9.6 [CVE-2021-21481] Missing Authorization Check in SAP NetWeaver AS JAVA (MigrationService)
- 9.1 [CVE-2022-22544] Missing segregation of duties in SAP Solution Manager Diagnostics Root Cause Analysis Tools