SAP takes the security of its vast product portfolio very seriously and thus releases security fixes for
vulnerabilities reported by external researchers and their customers every second Tuesday of the month.
SAP Note 3027937
was released on
13.04.2021 and deals with
"[CVE-2021-27598] Improper Access Control in SAP NetWeaver AS for Java (Customer Usage Provisioning Servlet)" within Java.
We advice you to follow the instructions, to resolve
missing authorization check
medium potential for exploitation
in component BC-JAS-ADM-ADM.
According to SAP Security Advisory team a workaround does not exist. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance.
Missing authority checks are still the most common security defect related to authorizations in custom code. Since SAP uses an explicit authorization model, an authority checks must be coded in order to be executed. If an explicit check is not coded, all users have access. This type of vulnerability not only exists in SAP standard it also exists in customer coding. Check your custom developments for vulnerabilities that pose a risk to your systems. SecurityBridge helps detect code vulnerabilities before they are implemented in production.
Risk specificationA servlet in SAP NetWeaver AS meant Java Customer Usage Provisioning (CUP) is not properly protected resulting in improper access control.
Appropriate authentication and authorization checks have been added to the CUP servlet of the SAP NetWeaver AS.
SAP Netweaver Application Server Java is part of the SAP NetWeaver Application Platform. It provides the complete infrastructure for deploying and running Java applications.
- The AS Java Home: SAP Netweaver Application Server Java wiki
- A dedicated SAP NetWeaver 7.40 Application Server for Java Security Guide exists.
The advisory is valid for
- LM-CORE 7.31
- LM-CORE 7.40
- LM-CORE 7.50
- 10.0 [Multiple CVE IDs] Missing Authentication Check in SAP Solution Manager (JAVA stack)
- 9.6 [CVE-2021-21481] Missing Authorization Check in SAP NetWeaver AS JAVA (MigrationService)
- 9.6 [CVE-2020-6320] Improper Access Control in SAP Marketing (Mobile Channel Servlet)
- 8.5 [CVE-2020-26837] Multiple Vulnerabilities in SAP Solution Manager 7.2 (User Experience Monitoring)
- 8.1 [CVE-2020-6279] Missing Authorization Check in SAP SuccessFactors Recruiting