On 12.01.2021 a security relevant correction has been released by SAP SE. The manufacturer resolves an issue within Analysis for Office.
SAP Note 3000291 addresses "[CVE-2021-21470] XML External Entity vulnerability in SAP EPM add-in" to prevent external entity tunneling (xxe) with a low risk for exploitation.
A workaround does not exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as monthly patch process , the team suggests.
Risk specificationSAP EPM add-in allows an authenticated attacker with user privileges to parse malicious XML files which could result in XXE-based attacks in applications that accept attacker-controlled XML configuration files. This occurs as logging service does not disable XML external entities when parsing configuration files and a successful exploit would result in limited impact on integrity and availability of the application.
The XML parser is now configured securely so that it does not allow external entities as part of an incoming XML document.
The advisory is valid for
- ANALYSISOFFICE 2.8
- EPM_EXCL_CLNT 1010
- 9.6 [CVE-2020-26831] Missing XML Validation in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (Crystal Report)
- 9.3 [CVE-2020-6238] Missing XML Validation vulnerability in SAP Commerce
- 7.7 [CVE-2020-6285] Information Disclosure in SAP NetWeaver (XMLToolkit for Java)
- 7.6 [CVE-2020-6366] Missing XML Validation in SAP NetWeaver (Compare Systems)
- 7.1 [CVE-2019-0396] Missing XML Validation vulnerability in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (Web Intelligence HTML interface)