A note with CVSS 5.3 for component BC-ABA-LA was released by SAP on 08.12.2020. The correction/advisory 2996479 was described with "[CVE-2020-26835] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP" and affects the system type ABAP.
A workaround does not exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as monthly patch process .
The vulnerability addressed is Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) within ABAP.
Missing authority checks are still the most common security defect related to authorizations in custom code.
Since SAP uses an explicit authorization model, an authority checks must be coded in order to be executed. If an
explicit check is not coded, all users have access.
This type of vulnerability not only exists in SAP standard it also exists in customer coding. Check your custom
developments for vulnerabilities that pose a risk to your systems. SecurityBridge helps
vulnerabilities before they are implemented in production.
Cross-site scripting (XSS) is the name of a class of security vulnerabilities that can occur in web-based
applications. XSS combines
affected web application.
Risk specificationSAP NetWeaver (ABAP Server) and ABAP Platform do not sufficiently encode user-controlled inputs, resulting in Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability.
The URL parameters are now properly encoded to prevent a successful XSS attack.
The advisory 2996479 describes a problem within an ABAP based systems of a specific version. Affected versions are described below. ABAP software is deployed in various software components and is widely used within the SAP product portfolio.
SAP NetWeaver Application Server (formally known as SAP Web Application Server) is a building block of SAP NetWeaver. It is the foundation for most software products developed by SAP SE. SAP NetWeaver systems exist with Java and/or ABAP stacks. The advisory could be relevant for single and dual-stack ABAP installations.
The advisory is valid for
- 9.0 [CVE-2020-6284] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) in SAP NetWeaver (Knowledge Management)
- 8.2 [CVE-2020-6367] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Composite Application Framework
- 6.5 [CVE-2019-0385] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP Enable Now
- 6.1 [CVE-2020-6193]Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver (Knowledge Management ICE Service)
- 6.1 [CVE-2020-6205] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP Business Server Pages (Smart Forms)