A note with CVSS 6.1 for component CA-UI5-COR was released by SAP on 11.08.2020. The correction/advisory 2941170 was described with "Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerabilities in modified jQuery bundled with SAPUI5" and affects the system type SAPGUI / Frontend.
A workaround exists, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance.
The vulnerability addressed is Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) within SAPGUI / Frontend.
Cross-site scripting (XSS) is the name of a class of security vulnerabilities that can occur in web-based
applications. XSS combines
affected web application.
Risk specificationThis note has been re-released with updated 'Solution’ information. SAP UI5 and OpenUI5 do not sufficiently encode user controlled inputs, resulting in an Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability which would allow an unauthenticated adversary to access sensitive information such as session credentials.
The vulnerability was fixed by removing the vulnerable code, to prevent a successful XSS attack. Although an alternative solution exists, it is advisable to apply the correction! This is the workaround, which was suggested by the SAP security experts: "Cross-site scripting/request forgery filter engine on IDS/IPS/firewall systems. ".
Applications of the SAP GUI Family are SAP's universal clients for accessing SAP functionality in SAP applications. The GUI functions like a browser. It gets information from the SAP server like what, where, when and how, to display contents in its window. SAP GUI comes in the following three different flavors and exists in multiple versions:
- SAP GUI for Windows
- SAP GUI for the Java Environment
- SAP GUI for HTML
Usage of an outdated SAP GUI application can pose security risk to SAP applications.
- SAP frequently updates the
following note, to share information about maintenance strategy and deadline for the GUI components:
147519 - Maintenance strategy / deadlines for SAP GUI for Windows / SAP GUI for Java
- Another good source for information on product version and releases is the so called Product Availability Matrix
The advisory is valid for
- UISAPUI5_JAVA 7.50
- SAP_UI 750 14
- SAP_UI 751 4
- SAP_UI 752 8
- SAP_UI 753 16
- SAP_UI 754 18
- SAP_UI 755 14
- UI_700 200 6
- 9.0 [CVE-2020-6284] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) in SAP NetWeaver (Knowledge Management)
- 8.2 [CVE-2020-6367] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Composite Application Framework
- 8.1 [CVE-2022-26101] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP Fiori launchpad
- 6.5 [CVE-2023-0025] Cross Site Scripting in SAP Solution Manager (BSP Application)
- 6.5 [CVE-2022-41258] Multiple Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerabilities in SAP Financial Consolidation