On 12.04.2022 a security relevant correction has been released by SAP SE. The manufacturer resolves an issue within SAP 3D Visual Enterprise .
SAP Note 3143437 addresses "[Multiple CVEs] Improper Input Validation in SAP 3D Visual Enterprise Viewer" to prevent denial of service (dos) with a medium risk for exploitation.
A workaround does not exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance, the team suggests.
Denial of Service (DoS) attacks that take a system offline may lead to significant cost for the company, studies quantify the costs in average between 4 and 5 millions dollars. Business continuity requires SAP systems staying online. The CVSS scores or vulnerability descriptions are not enough to represent how a simple bug can lead to a significant loss for companies.
Risk specificationSAP 3D Visual Enterprise Viewer does not properly validate inputs of certain file types allowing an unauthenticated user to open manipulated files received from untrusted sources resulting in the application crashing and becoming temporarily unavailable.
SAP 3D Visual Enterprise Viewer now properly validates the input files.
The advisory is valid for
- 7.5 Denial of service (DOS) in SAP Commerce
- 7.5 [CVE-2022-28772]Denial of service (DOS) in SAP Web Dispatcher and SAP Netweaver (Internet Communication Manager)
- 7.5 [CVE-2020-6186] Denial of Service (DOS) Vulnerability in SAP Host Agent
- 7.5 [CVE-2020-6196] Denial of service (DOS) in SAP BusinessObjects Mobile (MobileBIService)
- 7.5 [CVE-2021-33670] Denial of Service (DoS) in SAP NetWeaver AS for Java (Http Service)