SAP takes the security of its vast product portfolio very seriously and thus releases security fixes for
vulnerabilities reported by external researchers and their customers every second Tuesday of the month.
SAP Note 3084487
was released on
14.09.2021 and deals with
"[CVE-2021-38163] Unrestricted File Upload vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver (Visual Composer 7.0 RT)" within Java.
We advice you to follow the instructions, to resolve
hot news potential for exploitation
in component EP-VC-RTM.
According to SAP Security Advisory team a workaround exists. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance.
Risk specificationSAP NetWeaver Visual Composer allows an authenticated attacker to upload a malicious file over a network and triggers its processing. This results in running system commands with the privileges of the Java Server process and could lead to read or modify of information with possible shut down rendering the system unavailable.
The vulnerable component is removed. Alternativly, the consulting team has proposed the following: "A workaround for versions that do not contain a patch would be to un-deploy the whole VC70RUNTIME.SCA from the system. Find more information on the procedure please view link in the note.". The suggestion may be considered, as a workaround or compensating mitigation. We recommend installing/applying the correction wherever possible and as soon as possible. Base your decision on whether or not to apply the patch on your companies and systems risk perspective and consider the provided CVSS 9.9 score.
SAP Netweaver Application Server Java is part of the SAP NetWeaver Application Platform. It provides the complete infrastructure for deploying and running Java applications.
- The AS Java Home: SAP Netweaver Application Server Java wiki
- A dedicated SAP NetWeaver 7.40 Application Server for Java Security Guide exists.
The advisory is valid for
- VC70RUNTIME 7.30
- VC70RUNTIME 7.31
- VC70RUNTIME 7.40
- VC70RUNTIME 7.50
- 7.2 [CVE-2020-6236] Privilege Escalation in SAP Landscape Management (SAP Adaptive Extensions)
- 7.2 [CVE-2020-6191] Missing Input Validation in SAP Landscape Management
- 7.2 [CVE-2020-6192] Missing Input Validation in SAP Landscape Management
- 7.2 [CVE-2020-6234] Privilege Escalation in SAP Host Agent
- 6.5 [CVE-2021-38180] CSV Injection in SAP Business One