On 14.03.2023 a security relevant correction has been released by SAP SE. The manufacturer resolves an issue within ABAP.
SAP Note 3289844 addresses "[CVE-2023-25615] SQL Injection vulnerability in SAP ABAP Platform" to prevent sql injection with a medium risk for exploitation.
A workaround does not exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as monthly patch process, the team suggests.
Missing authority checks are still the most common security defect related to authorizations in custom code. Since SAP uses an explicit authorization model, an authority checks must be coded in order to be executed. If an explicit check is not coded, all users have access. This type of vulnerability not only exists in SAP standard it also exists in customer coding. Check your custom developments for vulnerabilities that pose a risk to your systems. SecurityBridge helps detect code vulnerabilities before they are implemented in production.
Risk specificationSAP ABAP allows an authenticated attacker to inject malicious database queries, causing an impact on confidentiality but no impact on the availability and integrity of the application.
The input validation check has been updated to prevent this type of attack.
The advisory 3289844 describes a problem within an ABAP based systems of a specific version. Affected versions are described below. ABAP software is deployed in various software components and is widely used within the SAP product portfolio.
SAP NetWeaver Application Server (formally known as SAP Web Application Server) is a building block of SAP NetWeaver. It is the foundation for most software products developed by SAP SE. SAP NetWeaver systems exist with Java and/or ABAP stacks. The advisory could be relevant for single and dual-stack ABAP installations.
The advisory is valid for
- SAP_BASIS 751-757
- SAP_BASIS 791 6
- 9.9 [CVE-2021-38176] SQL Injection vulnerability in SAP NZDT Mapping Table Framework
- 9.9 [CVE-2023-0016] SQL Injection vulnerability in SAP Business Planning and Consolidation MS
- 8.8 [CVE-2021-42064] SQL Injection vulnerability in SAP Commerce
- 5.4 [CVE-2022-32246] SQL Injection vulnerability in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (Visual Difference Application)
- 4.3 [CVE-2022-32248] Missing Input Validation in Manage Checkbooks component of SAP S/4HANA