On 11.10.2022 a security relevant correction has been released by SAP SE. The manufacturer resolves an issue within Java.
SAP Note 3242933 addresses "[CVE-2022-39802] File path traversal vulnerability in SAP Manufacturing Execution" to prevent directory traversal (read) with a hot news risk for exploitation.
A workaround does exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance, the team suggests.
Risk specificationAn unauthenticated attacker could leverage an insufficient file format validation vulnerability to upload arbitrary files.
The application now properly checks the paths submitted by the user and disallows arbitrary file reads. Circumstances exist that prevent the timely installation of a patch provided by the manufacturer. In such cases, you may consider applying the suggested workaround as a temporary or compensating mitigation: "Please assess the workaround applicability for your SAP landscape prior to implementation. Note that this workaround is a temporary fix and is not a permanent solution. SAP strongly recommends you apply the corrections outlined in the security note, which can be done in lieu of the workaround or after the workaround is implemented. The risk of the vulnerability can be reduced by removing any sensitive content from the file systems that are accessible to the OS user executing the Netweaver process or service.- Restrict access to any unneeded file paths for the OS user executing the Netweaver process or service.".
SAP Netweaver Application Server Java is part of the SAP NetWeaver Application Platform. It provides the complete infrastructure for deploying and running Java applications.
- The AS Java Home: SAP Netweaver Application Server Java wiki
- A dedicated SAP NetWeaver 7.40 Application Server for Java Security Guide exists.
The advisory is valid for
- 7.7 [CVE-2021-44232] Directory Traversal vulnerability in SAF-T Framework
- 6.3 Directory traversal in BC-MID-ICF
- 5.3 Directory traversal in Web Container
- 4.0 [CVE-2021-21475] Directory Traversal vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Master Data Management 7.1
- 2.7 [CVE-2022-27657] Directory Traversal vulnerability in SAP Focused Run (Simple Diagnostics Agent 1.0)