On 12.04.2022 a security relevant correction has been released by SAP SE. The manufacturer resolves an issue within Java.
SAP Note 3148377 addresses "[CVE-2022-28217] Missing XML Validation vulnerability in SAP NW EP WPC" to prevent external entity tunneling (xxe) with a medium risk for exploitation.
A workaround does not exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance, the team suggests.
Risk specificationSome part of SAP NetWeaver (EP Web Page Composer) does not sufficiently validate an XML document accepted from an untrusted source, which allows an adversary to exploit unprotected XML parking at endpoints, and a possibility to conduct SSRF attacks that could compromise system’s availability by causing the system to crash.
The EP Web Page Composer of SAP NetWeaver is updated to properly validate XML documents.
SAP Netweaver Application Server Java is part of the SAP NetWeaver Application Platform. It provides the complete infrastructure for deploying and running Java applications.
- The AS Java Home: SAP Netweaver Application Server Java wiki
- A dedicated SAP NetWeaver 7.40 Application Server for Java Security Guide exists.
The advisory is valid for
- 9.8 Potential XML External Entity Injection Vulnerability in SAP Environmental Compliance
- 9.6 [CVE-2020-26831] Missing XML Validation in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (Crystal Report)
- 9.3 [CVE-2020-6238] Missing XML Validation vulnerability in SAP Commerce
- 8.7 [CVE-2021-27635] Missing XML Validation in SAP NetWeaver AS for JAVA
- 7.7 [CVE-2020-6285] Information Disclosure in SAP NetWeaver (XMLToolkit for Java)