SAP takes the security of its vast product portfolio very seriously and thus releases security fixes for
vulnerabilities reported by external researchers and their customers every second Tuesday of the month.
SAP Note 3119365
was released on
14.12.2021 and deals with
"[CVE-2021-44231] Code Injection vulnerability in SAP ABAP Server & ABAP Platform (Translation Tools)" within ABAP.
We advice you to follow the instructions, to resolve
hot news potential for exploitation
in component BC-DOC-TTL.
According to SAP Security Advisory team a workaround does not exist. It is advisable to implement the correction as monthly patch process.
Missing authority checks are still the most common security defect related to authorizations in custom code. Since SAP uses an explicit authorization model, an authority checks must be coded in order to be executed. If an explicit check is not coded, all users have access. This type of vulnerability not only exists in SAP standard it also exists in customer coding. Check your custom developments for vulnerabilities that pose a risk to your systems. SecurityBridge helps detect code vulnerabilities before they are implemented in production.
Risk specificationAn attacker with low privileges can exploit the defect in internally used text extraction reports (Translation Tools), which will enable the execution of arbitrary commands in the background. This results in gaining control of the application and compromising all its data.
The vulnerable code has been deactivated out.
The advisory 3119365 describes a problem within an ABAP based systems of a specific version. Affected versions are described below. ABAP software is deployed in various software components and is widely used within the SAP product portfolio.
SAP NetWeaver Application Server (formally known as SAP Web Application Server) is a building block of SAP NetWeaver. It is the foundation for most software products developed by SAP SE. SAP NetWeaver systems exist with Java and/or ABAP stacks. The advisory could be relevant for single and dual-stack ABAP installations.
The advisory is valid for
- 10.0 [CVE-2021-44228] Remote Code Execution vulnerability associated with Apache Log4j 2 component used in SAP Localization Hub, digital compliance service for India
- 10.0 [CVE-2021-44228] Remote Code Execution vulnerability associated with Apache Log4j 2 component used in Reference Template for enabling ingestion and persistence of time series data in Azure
- 10.0 [CVE-2021-44228] Remote Code Execution vulnerability associated with Apache Log4j 2 component used in SAP Digital Manufacturing Cloud for Edge Computing
- 10.0 [CVE-2021-44228] Remote Code Execution vulnerability associated with Apache Log4j2 component used in SAP Enterprise Continuous Testing by Tricentis
- 10.0 [CVE-2021-44228] Remote Code Execution vulnerability associated with Apache Log4j 2 component used in SAP Edge Services Cloud Edition