On 14.09.2021 a security relevant correction has been released by SAP SE. The manufacturer resolves an issue within SAP 3D Visual Enterprise .
SAP Note 3087791 addresses "[CVE-2021-38174] Improper Input Validation in SAP 3D Visual Enterprise Viewer" to prevent denial of service (dos) with a medium risk for exploitation.
A workaround does not exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance, the team suggests.
Denial of Service (DoS) attacks that take a system offline may lead to significant cost for the company, studies quantify the costs in average between 4 and 5 millions dollars. Business continuity requires SAP systems staying online. The CVSS scores or vulnerability descriptions are not enough to represent how a simple bug can lead to a significant loss for companies.
Risk specificationSAP 3D Visual Enterprise Viewer does not properly validate inputs of certain file types allowing an unauthenticated user to open manipulated files received from untrusted sources resulting in the application crashing and become temporarily unavailable.
SAP 3D Visual Enterprise Viewer now properly validates the input files.
The advisory is valid for
- 9.8 Multiple Vulnerabilities in SAP Data Services
- 7.5 [CVE-2021-38177] Null Pointer Dereference vulnerability in SAP CommonCryptoLib
- 6.5 [CVE-2020-26826] Unrestricted File Upload vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Application Server for Java (Process Integration Monitoring)
- 6.5 [CVE-2021-21488] Insecure deserialisation in SAP NetWeaver Knowledge Management
- 6.5 [CVE-2021-27603] Denial of Service (DoS) in SAP NetWeaver AS of ABAP