SAP takes the security of its vast product portfolio very seriously and thus releases security fixes for
vulnerabilities reported by external researchers and their customers every second Tuesday of the month.
SAP Note 3080106
was released on
09.11.2021 and deals with
"[CVE-2021-40503] Information Disclosure in SAP GUI for Windows" within SAP GUI / Frontend.
We advice you to follow the instructions, to resolve
medium potential for exploitation
in component BC-FES-GUI.
According to SAP Security Advisory team a workaround does not exist. It is advisable to implement the correction as monthly patch process.
Information disclosure is when an application fails to properly protect sensitive and confidential information from
parties that are not supposed to have access to the subject matter in normal circumstances.
Carefully review every information disclosure vulnerablity in regards to disclosure obligations post-GDPR for ‘Personal data’ under the Data Protection Act 2018.
Risk specificationSAP GUI for Windows allows an authenticated attacker with sufficient privileges on the windows client to obtain an equivalent of the user password enabling the attacker to log onto the backend system. The severity depends on the authorization from the user.
The password handling of SAP GUI for Windows is fixed.
- 9.0 [CVE-2020-6252] Information Disclosure in SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise (Cockpit)
- 8.9 Information Disclosure in Central Order
- 8.6 [CVE-2020-6264] Information Disclosure in SAP Commerce
- 8.3 [CVE-2021-21482] Information Disclosure in SAP NetWeaver Master Data Management
- 8.2 [CVE-2021-21483] Information Disclosure in SAP Solution Manager