A note with CVSS 4.7 for component BI-BIP-INV was released by SAP on 10.08.2021. The correction/advisory 3063048 was described with "[CVE-2021-33697] Reverse Tabnabbing in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (SAP UI5)" and affects the system type BI/BO platform.
A workaround does not exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance.
The vulnerability addressed is reverse tabnabbing within BI/BO platform.
Reverse tabnabbing is an attack where a page linked from the target page is able to rewrite that page, for example
to replace it with a phishing site. The following figure shows a brief illustration:
While the user was originally on the correct page there is a high risk they will not notice that it has been changed to a phishing site.
Risk specificationSAP UI5 allows an unauthenticated attacker to redirect users to a malicious site due to insufficient reverse tabnabbing URL validation.
The affected BI application has been strengthened by upgrading the SAPUI5 version.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence suite is an analytics platform allowing SAP customers to make better decisions based on their business data. SAP BI is a module meant for producing business insights and expands its power in combination with HANA DB and also exists as BW/4 HANA. Due to processing sensitive business data, the Data security is of utmost importance.
The advisory is valid for
- 4.7 [CVE-2021-21491] Reverse TabNabbing vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Application Server Java (Applications based on Web Dynpro Java)
- 4.7 Reverse Tabnabbing vulnerability within SAP NetWeaver Application Server ABAP (Applications based on SAP GUI for HTML)
- 4.7 Reverse TabNabbing vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Application Server Java (Applications based on HTMLB for Java)
- 4.7 Reverse tabnabbing issue in Unified Rendering based frameworks in NetWeaver Application Server Java
- 4.7 [CVE-2021-21478] Reverse Tabnabbing vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Application Server ABAP (Applications based on Web Dynpro ABAP)