SAP takes the security of its vast product portfolio very seriously and thus releases security fixes for
vulnerabilities reported by external researchers and their customers every second Tuesday of the month.
SAP Note 3062085
was released on
10.08.2021 and deals with
"[CVE-2021-33696] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (Crystal Report)" within BI/BO platform.
We advice you to follow the instructions, to resolve
Cross-Site Scripting (XSS)
medium potential for exploitation
in component BI-RA-CR-VW.
According to SAP Security Advisory team a workaround exists. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance.
Cross-site scripting (XSS) is the name of a class of security vulnerabilities that can occur in web-based
applications. XSS combines
affected web application.
Risk specificationSAP CrystalReports does not sufficiently encode user-controlled inputs, resulting in an Authenticated Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability.
The URL parameters are now removed from the request to prevent a successful XSS attack. Alternativly, the consulting team has proposed the following: "Cross-site scripting/request forgery filter engine on IDS/IPS/firewall systems that scan the url parameter in the request.". The suggestion may be considered, as a workaround or compensating mitigation. We recommend installing/applying the correction wherever possible and as soon as possible. Base your decision on whether or not to apply the patch on your companies and systems risk perspective and consider the provided CVSS 5.4 score.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence suite is an analytics platform allowing SAP customers to make better decisions based on their business data. SAP BI is a module meant for producing business insights and expands its power in combination with HANA DB and also exists as BW/4 HANA. Due to processing sensitive business data, the Data security is of utmost importance.
The advisory is valid for
- 9.0 [CVE-2020-6284] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) in SAP NetWeaver (Knowledge Management)
- 8.2 [CVE-2020-6367] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Composite Application Framework
- 6.5 [CVE-2019-0385] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP Enable Now
- 6.1 [CVE-2020-6193]Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver (Knowledge Management ICE Service)
- 6.1 [CVE-2020-6229] Cross-Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP (Business Server Pages application CRM_BSP_FRAME)