On 12.04.2022 a security relevant correction has been released by SAP SE. The manufacturer resolves an issue within BI/BO platform.
SAP Note 3055044 addresses "[CVE-2022-28213] Missing XML Validation vulnerability in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (dswsbobje - SOAP Web services)" to prevent external entity tunneling (xxe) with a medium risk for exploitation.
A workaround does not exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance, the team suggests.
Risk specificationSAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (dswsbobje - SOAP Web services) does not sufficiently validate an XML document accepted from an untrusted source, resulting in an XEE vulnerability.
The XML parser is now configured securely to validate submitted XML documents so that external entities are not allowed.
SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence suite is an analytics platform allowing SAP customers to make better decisions based on their business data. SAP BI is a module meant for producing business insights and expands its power in combination with HANA DB and also exists as BW/4 HANA. Due to processing sensitive business data, the Data security is of utmost importance.
The advisory is valid for
- 9.8 Potential XML External Entity Injection Vulnerability in SAP Environmental Compliance
- 9.6 [CVE-2020-26831] Missing XML Validation in SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform (Crystal Report)
- 9.3 [CVE-2020-6238] Missing XML Validation vulnerability in SAP Commerce
- 8.7 [CVE-2021-27635] Missing XML Validation in SAP NetWeaver AS for JAVA
- 7.7 [CVE-2020-6285] Information Disclosure in SAP NetWeaver (XMLToolkit for Java)