SAP takes the security of its vast product portfolio very seriously and thus releases security fixes for
vulnerabilities reported by external researchers and their customers every second Tuesday of the month.
SAP Note 3038594
was released on
13.07.2021 and deals with
"[CVE-2021-33689] Insufficient Logging in SAP NetWeaver AS for JAVA (Administrator)" within Java.
We advice you to follow the instructions, to resolve
insufficient security function
low potential for exploitation
in component BC-JAS-ADM-ADM.
According to SAP Security Advisory team a workaround does not exist. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance.
Risk specificationWhen a user with insufficient privileges tries to access any application in SAP NetWeaver Administrator, no security audit log is created. Therefore, the security audit logs' Integrity is impacted.
A security audit log is added for unauthorized access attempts to any application in SAP NetWeaver Administrator.
SAP Netweaver Application Server Java is part of the SAP NetWeaver Application Platform. It provides the complete infrastructure for deploying and running Java applications.
- The AS Java Home: SAP Netweaver Application Server Java wiki
- A dedicated SAP NetWeaver 7.40 Application Server for Java Security Guide exists.
The advisory is valid for
- 6.3 [CVE-2021-21472] Server password not set during installation of SAP NetWeaver Master Data Management 7.1
- 5.4 [CVE-2020-6178] Insufficient session expiration in SAP Enable Now Manager
- 3.8 [CVE-2020-6197] Insufficient session expiration in SAP Enable Now Manager
- 3.7 [CVE-2020-6363] Insufficient Session Expiration in SAP Commerce Cloud
- 3.4 [CVE-2021-27612] SAP GUI for Windows is vulnerable to redirect users to an untrusted website