A note with CVSS 5.9 for component BC-FES-IGS was released by SAP on 08.06.2021. The correction/advisory 3021050 was described with "[Multiple CVEs] Memory Corruption vulnerability in SAP Internet Graphics Service" and affects the system type Internet Graphics Service.
A workaround does not exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance.
The vulnerability addressed is denial of service (dos) within Internet Graphics Service.
Denial of Service (DoS) attacks that take a system offline may lead to significant cost for the company, studies quantify the costs in average between 4 and 5 millions dollars. Business continuity requires SAP systems staying online. The CVSS scores or vulnerability descriptions are not enough to represent how a simple bug can lead to a significant loss for companies.
Risk specificationAn unauthenticated attacker after retrieving an existing system state value can submit a malicious IGS request over a network which due to insufficient input validation will trigger an internal memory corruption error in the system causing the system to crash and rendering it unavailable.
SAP IGS is hardened against memory corruption errors.
The advisory is valid for
- BC-FES-IGS 7.20
- BC-FES-IGS 7.20EXT
- BC-FES-IGS 7.20_EX2
- BC-FES-IGS 7.53
- BC-FES-IGS 7.81
- 9.8 Multiple Vulnerabilities in SAP Data Services
- 7.5 [CVE-2021-38177] Null Pointer Dereference vulnerability in SAP CommonCryptoLib
- 6.5 [CVE-2020-26826] Unrestricted File Upload vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Application Server for Java (Process Integration Monitoring)
- 6.5 [CVE-2021-21488] Insecure deserialisation in SAP NetWeaver Knowledge Management
- 6.5 [CVE-2021-27603] Denial of Service (DoS) in SAP NetWeaver AS of ABAP