On 12.01.2021 a security relevant correction has been released by SAP SE. The manufacturer resolves an issue within Java.
SAP Note 2993032 addresses "[CVE-2021-21469] Information Disclosure in SAP NetWeaver Master Data Management" to prevent information disclosure with a medium risk for exploitation.
A workaround does exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance, the team suggests.
Information disclosure is when an application fails to properly protect sensitive and confidential information from
parties that are not supposed to have access to the subject matter in normal circumstances.
Carefully review every information disclosure vulnerablity in regards to disclosure obligations post-GDPR for ‘Personal data’ under the Data Protection Act 2018.
Risk specificationAn unauthenticated attacker could modify custom paths within the mds server configuration. This could lead to a information disclosure of highly sensitive data.
The service will no longer accept remote mds.ini parameter modification unless explicitly allowed in the mds.ini file. More precisely MS Windwows based mds servers will not accept remotely set path parameters using UNC. Circumstances exist that prevent the timely installation of a patch provided by the manufacturer. In such cases, you may consider applying the suggested workaround as a temporary or compensating mitigation: "Restrict access to database administration level - e.g. open ports - as far as possible.".
SAP Netweaver Application Server Java is part of the SAP NetWeaver Application Platform. It provides the complete infrastructure for deploying and running Java applications.
- The AS Java Home: SAP Netweaver Application Server Java wiki
- A dedicated SAP NetWeaver 7.40 Application Server for Java Security Guide exists.
The advisory is valid for
- MDM_CLIX 710 4
- MDM_CLIX 710.750 3
- MDM_CONSOLE 710 4
- MDM_CONSOLE 710.750 3
- MDM_DATA_MANAGER 710 4
- MDM_DATA_MANAGER 710.750 3
- MDM_IMPORT_MANAGER 710 4
- MDM_IMPORT_MANAGER 710.750 3
- MDM_IMP_SRV 710 4
- MDM_IMP_SRV 710.750 3
- MDM_LANGUAGE_SELECTOR 710 3
- MDM_LANGUAGE_SELECTOR 710.750 3
- MDM_SERVER 7.1 4
- MDM_SERVER 710.750 3
- MDM_SHARED_INSTALL_CONTENT 710 4
- MDM_SHARED_INSTALL_CONTENT 710.750 3
- MDM_SYNDICATOR 710 4
- MDM_SYNDICATOR 710.750 3
- MDM_SYND_SRV 710 3
- 9.0 [CVE-2020-6252] Information Disclosure in SAP Adaptive Server Enterprise (Cockpit)
- 8.9 Information Disclosure in Central Order
- 8.6 [CVE-2020-6264] Information Disclosure in SAP Commerce
- 8.3 [CVE-2021-21482] Information Disclosure in SAP NetWeaver Master Data Management
- 8.2 [CVE-2021-21483] Information Disclosure in SAP Solution Manager