A note with CVSS 9.8 for component EIM-DS-DEP was released by SAP on 10.11.2020. The correction/advisory 2982840 was described with "Multiple Vulnerabilities in SAP Data Services" and affects the system type SAP Data Services.
A workaround does not exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance.
The vulnerability addressed is denial of service (dos) within SAP Data Services.
Denial of Service (DoS) attacks that take a system offline may lead to significant cost for the company, studies quantify the costs in average between 4 and 5 millions dollars. Business continuity requires SAP systems staying online. The CVSS scores or vulnerability descriptions are not enough to represent how a simple bug can lead to a significant loss for companies.
Risk specificationSAP Data Services allow an unauthenticated attacker to send a malicious request which could result in remote code execution and SAP Data Services allow an unauthenticated attacker to override access permission which may cause Denial of Service when performing a file upload.
SAP Data Services has been updated to properly validate input.
The advisory is valid for
- SBOP_DS_MANAGEMENT_CONSOLE 4.2
- 6.5 [CVE-2020-26826] Unrestricted File Upload vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Application Server for Java (Process Integration Monitoring)
- 6.5 [CVE-2021-21488] Insecure deserialisation in SAP NetWeaver Knowledge Management
- 4.3 [CVE-2021-27592] Improper Input Validation in SAP 3D Visual Enterprise Viewer
- 4.3 [Multiple CVEs] Improper Input Validation in SAP 3D Visual Enterprise Viewer
- 4.3 [CVE-2020-26817] Improper input validation in Visual Enterprise Viewer