A note with CVSS 6.5 for component BC-NWA-XPI was released by SAP on 08.12.2020. The correction/advisory 2974330 was described with "[CVE-2020-26826] Unrestricted File Upload vulnerability in SAP NetWeaver Application Server for Java (Process Integration Monitoring)" and affects the system type Java.
A workaround does not exist, according to SAP Security Advisory team. It is advisable to implement the correction as part of maintenance.
The vulnerability addressed is denial of service (dos) within Java.
Denial of Service (DoS) attacks that take a system offline may lead to significant cost for the company, studies quantify the costs in average between 4 and 5 millions dollars. Business continuity requires SAP systems staying online. The CVSS scores or vulnerability descriptions are not enough to represent how a simple bug can lead to a significant loss for companies.
Risk specificationProcess Integration Monitoring of SAP NetWeaver Application Server for Java allows an authenticated attacker with access to the PIMON application, which is given to basic users to upload any file without proper file format and length validation.
The application now applies file size filtering and an allowlist approach for filetypes.
SAP Netweaver Application Server Java is part of the SAP NetWeaver Application Platform. It provides the complete infrastructure for deploying and running Java applications.
- The AS Java Home: SAP Netweaver Application Server Java wiki
- A dedicated SAP NetWeaver 7.40 Application Server for Java Security Guide exists.
The advisory is valid for
- SOAMON 7.31
- SOAMON 7.40
- SOAMON 7.50
- 9.8 Multiple Vulnerabilities in SAP Data Services
- 7.5 [CVE-2021-38177] Null Pointer Dereference vulnerability in SAP CommonCryptoLib
- 6.5 [CVE-2021-21488] Insecure deserialisation in SAP NetWeaver Knowledge Management
- 6.5 [CVE-2021-27603] Denial of Service (DoS) in SAP NetWeaver AS of ABAP
- 6.5 [CVE-2021-38181] Denial of service (DOS) in SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP and ABAP Platform